There has been a Madison School in South Bend since 1862. The first school had only four rooms. A new, larger school was built at the same site, the corner of Madison and Lafayette Streets, and opened to students on October 9, 1893. Work on the third (and present) Madison School began in September of 1928. A complete renovation of the school occurred in 2002. Today it is known as Madison Primary Center and houses students in PreK-grade 4. The school was named after the fourth President of the United States, James Madison.